Friday, September 14, 2007

Virgen de Guadalupe fabric

I have been collecting "Virgin de Guadalupe" images on fabric and today was my lucky day because I found 8 different panels. I went to the San Antonio, TX quilt show taking place this weekend. I took a lot of photos that I will post later.
The next four panels are being sold as part of kits by "The Urban Attic" a new enterprise located in Central Texas owned by Diana Ramirez and Belinda Powell. They can be reached at http://www.theurbanattic.com/ The kits are to make beautiful art quilts and they include the pattern/fabric or just the pattern. They also carry coordinating fabrics to finish of the project, an assortment of beads, beading thread and needles.



Now, the next panels, I found them at a booth owned by Michele Watts. I first met her in Houston last year where I bought a necklace made by her, if you go to http://www.jmichellewatts.com/ check out her stuff. Most of her quilts are based on Native American designs, she also sells her own line of dyed fabrics in solid colors. which of course I had to have some. I got a yard of a beautiful rust color. I wished I had gotten more. I will probably see her in Houston in Nov.




This last panel I found locally and although I like it I'm not crazy about the colors. This one is from The Alexander Henry Fabrics collection, same designer as La Loteria Fabric that I posted much earlier on. And just in case you feel like learning something new just keep going to the bottom of the page.
OUR LADY OF GUADALUPE HISTORY In 1531 a "Lady from Heaven" appeared to a poor Indian at Tepeyac, a hill northwest of Mexico City; she identified herself as the Mother of the True God, instructed him to have the bishop build a temple on the site and left an image of herself imprinted miraculously on his tilma, a poor quality cactus-cloth, which should have deteriorated in 20 years but shows no sign of decay 471 years later and still defies all scientific explanations of its origin. It apparently even reflects in her eyes what was in front of her in 1531!Her message of love and compassion, and her universal promise of help and protection to all mankind, as well as the story of the apparitions, are described in the "Nican Mopohua", a 16th century document written in the native Nahuatl language.There is reason to believe that at Tepeyac Mary came in her glorified body, and her actual physical hands rearranged the roses in Juan Diegos tilma, which makes this apparition very special. An incredible list of miracles, cures and interventions are attributed to Her. Yearly, an estimated 10 million visit her Basilica, making her Mexico City home the most popular Marian shrine in the world, and the most visited Catholic church in the world next to the Vatican. Altogether 24 popes have officially honored Our Lady of Guadalupe. His Holiness John Paul II visited her Sanctuary four times: on his first apostolic trip outside Rome as Pope in 1979, and again in 1990, 1999 and 2002.The Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe is celebrated on December 12Th. In 1999, Pope John Paul II, in his homily from the Solemn Mass at the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe, during his third visit to the sanctuary, declared the date of December the 12Th as a Liturgical Holy Day for the whole continent.

In Mexico and many other Latin countries December 12 is considered a national holiday, people have the day off.

No comments: