Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11 Remembered

Today we commemorate the 10th anniversary of 9/11
This quilt was made a couple of days after the tragic day of 9/11. Unable to find a small American flag I decided to make one myself with scraps I had at hand. I set out to make one flag but the cutting and piecing for making the flag quilt was very therapeutic and it gave me time to reflect on everything that was going on after the terrorist attacks on American soil.  I kept sewing until all the scraps were gone and it resulted in this very simple quilt. The black border and black binding represent the grief and sadness this country was going
through. I hand quilted stars of different sizes all over the quilt.

"Therefore, we will not fear, even though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea."
Psalm 46

No comments: