Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year's resolution

Early 20th-century New Year's resolution postcard


I just love the first day of the new year. For one thing, all the craziness of the holidays is left behind and the new and fresh year offers a myriad of things being possible.
I have never been one to make new year resolutions but this time I will.
I have a list of at least 10 different fiber art projects that I would like to tackle this year. Every night I go to bed thinking about all those new projects I would like to start the next day but when morning comes, I get up and get busy with mundane things and before I know it the day is gone. I know I can apply myself and find the time. I do that when I have commissions and deadlines to meet. I get up early and then work, work, work. Eat lunch, work, work, work, have dinner with my family, work, work, work until bedtime. So why can't I do the same with my own projects?. That's where the new resolution comes into play. I pledge to spend more time in the studio developing all those ideas that right now exist just on paper. Those pieces will eventually make it into fiber art and quilt shows. As the year progresses, I will come back to this post and read this entry to remind myself of that first day of the year when I sat down at the computer to write down my new year's resolution. Until then....

1 comment:

Frances Moore said...

You are so right! I teach at an adult school and as a result I am constantly looking for or creating school projects. This year I vow to also do my own work.