Monday, August 20, 2007

San Antonio meets Mexico

Last Saturday my family and I went to San Antonio to meet friends who where visiting from Canton, Michigan. After having a "Mexican" lunch at Del Rio Restaurant by the river walk we decided to go to the market La Villita, I believed is called.
The guy above is part of a Mariachi band made of metal, very cute, but, if you buy one, where do you put it? My friends liked it (I don't know if they were serious) I offered to ship it if they bought it (They don't know if I was serious).
This next guy is holding the Mexican flag, in case you were wondering about the country of origin.

Although it was around 94 degrees in the afternoon I still needed my caffeine fix and we visited Mi Tierra Cafe and Panaderia http://www.mitierracafe.com/ They have all kind of Mexican pastries and breads, also candied fruit, I had pumpkin but it was SO sweet it hurt to eat it.

This wooden cart had colorful images of La Loteria game

Pinatas and more pinatas hanging from the ceiling
The Mariachi Bar was next to the bakery, this guy made sure you didn't exceed the Margarita limit for the day.
"El Santo" masks. I haven't seen one of these in years. In fact, I don't remember ever seeing one growing up in Mexico, mmmm.....


Sometimes you don't have to travel far to experience a different culture. Another country may be just around the corner!! If you can't go to Mexico, well, go to San Antonio, Texas.
And by the way, to those interested, don't forget that the Greater San Antonio Quilt Guild is having their quilt show on Sept. 14-16, 2007, for more info. visit http://www.sanantonioquilts.org/







No comments: