Saturday, November 6, 2010

Fiber Arts and Quilt Scene

Since this blog belongs to a quilter/fiber artist it is just natural that I blog about fiber related items. The last couple of weeks have been filled with exhibits and trips to different cities in Texas. It all started with the exhibit at the Gallery Nord in San Antonio. A great exhibit that closed yesterday. The next weekend I spent 2 days in Dallas and the Fort Worth area visiting museums,  then  home to work on a couple of deadlines. On Wed I went to the opening of the Woven Wonders exhibit here in Austin at the Jewish Community Center. The exhibit runs until December 14. Works of several Texas fiber artists are on display.
I spent a day at home finishing some art quilts and the next day I headed to Houston to see the International Quilt Festival. My  friend Carol, my sister and I drove there early in the morning. After a 3 hour drive we arrived in Houston and went straight to the George Brown convention center to see the quilts. After a few hours we took a break for lunch, and then I headed for the exhibitors booths and did a little shopping then back to see the quilts  until I couldn't do it any more. Talk about sensory overload! I met  Carol and my sister at the Hilton Starbucks to have a grande americano before heading back home. It kept me awake on the drive back from Houston. I don't recommend going to the festival and spending just one day there but if time is of essence it is the only way. It had been  a 13 hour day by the time I got home. I think I fell asleep before my head hit the pillow.
This morning I wanted to sleep in but I had to go to San Antonio to pick up one of my art quilts from the Gallery Nord, so on the road again for a few hours. On the way back from San Antonio my sister and I stopped at the  Wesley Gallery, they were having their annual Fall fair and we visited with some people from AFA.

Needless to say I'm really looking forward to tomorrow Sunday.

A few photos from the exhibit at the JCC.

<> <> <>
James Edward Talbot

<> <> <>
New Beginning by Martha Tsihlas
<> <> <>
Laura Beehler

<> <> <>
Susie Monday




1 comment:

deanna7trees said...

I just love your woven piece, Martha. Anita and I went on the 2 day bus trip to Houston. I spent the first day going through all the vendors and the second day looking at all the beautiful quilt displays. We had a great time and 2 days was just enough time to do it all. I left lots of my money there.